Again, I superimposed the live performance on a screen capture of the ProTools mix, so you can see both at the same time. This mix is a bit more active. The song is “Halfway” from their new album, “Glowing Mouth.” You should watch in HD.
A few comments:
- 0:36 – Note the levels on the sampler track. While Eric isn’t playing a simple sub tone, the low frequency content is being created by Steve and Eric together. Eric seems to be cuing the upbeat with his drumstick.
- 1:24 – Riding up the bass to support a sparse pre-chorus, which foreshadows restructuring for the chorus.
- 1:58 – Reset for another verse, and balance backup vox for some “oooh’s.”
- 2:12 – Shifting balance between the Nord and the bass in order to carry momentum through the phrase, which I wanted to land on the word “skin.”
- 2:42 – More kick to push this section forward and help develop the groove they’ll kick in later.
- 2:59 – Lots of automation on snares and overheads to help build the groove.
- 3:32 – Quick envelope drop on the kick in track to keep the foundation consistent.
Go buy this album.
And for no reason at all, here’s a pic of me with MILAGRES.